Shreve, La.

(AP) The hotel name Shreve is a city nickname, but the name was based on the name of the city.

Shreve City Center was established in 1891.

In 1892, the city council created the city’s first public library.

The Shreve Hotel opened in 1893.

In 1903, Shreve County became a city and its first newspaper was published.

In 1918, the Shrews were awarded the Medal of Freedom.

In 1923, the name Shrew County was changed to Shreve.

The hotel was sold to the University of Louisiana in 1926 and renamed the Shredder.